Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cro-hook Scarf Pattern


One of the newer projects I’ve started working on recently is a cro-hook scarf. I’ve got this yarn I purchased ages ago that I never quite figured out how to use. Ta-da! Now I know, and it will be a sparkly cro-hook scarf. I only have two skeins of each color, so a simple pattern seems to be ideal.
One of the reasons I procrastinated when trying to use this yarn was that it had the metallic thread running through it. I tried simple single crochet a time or two with it, but the yarn was too pretty. I went back and forth making chains with different size hooks to see what might strike my fancy. Finally, I put it away in my yarn stash, hoping something would spark my imagination someday.
Believe it or not, I even tried cro-hooking with this particular yarn. The only problem was that I didn’t like the texture when I did so. Cro-hooking through the horizontal bar creates a definite effect on the fabric one is making. This time, I chose to cast on my loops, inserting my hook through the vertical bar, instead of the horizontal bar.
I start with one color and make a foundation. Then I switch to the other color. I’m only making two rows of each color at a time. The first one, I cast on; the second one, I cast off. Then I move my yarn to the other side of the cro-hook, and cast on an off with my second color – always casting on through the vertical bar below the stitches I just cast off.

Another small detail that cannot be stressed enough is to pull the side loops tight enough to prevent snags and loose edges. This way, when I’ve used up all my yarn, my scarf will be complete. I won’t need to do anything more to it if my edges are neat and even, and my ends are uniform too. Simply finish off and weave in loose ends.
Please refer to this post to learn the basic cro-hooking technique. Then, take two colors of yarn and experiment with how you cast on loops. Just like in Tunisian crochet, you can vary this when cro-hooking, to create different patterns in your fabric.