Monday, March 4, 2013

National Crochet Month


by M. J. Joachim
It seems March has been designated National Crochet Month in America. Honestly, I had no idea and my first thought upon stumbling over this information last weekend was, “Another way for retailers to cash in on what so many of us like to do anyway.”
Fear not, my fellow crocheters! We are not alone in this fine month of celebration – March has the esteemed title of National Craft Month too!
Call me crazy, but I always thought crochet was considered a craft…hmmm…
Next thing you know, we’ll be celebrating National Hobby Month in July – wait, that month is already reserved for Christmas…wouldn’t want all those Christmas in July sales to have to share now, would we? After all, Christmas is a biggie!
You know, I want to share my work with the rest of the world like everyone else. But this idea of turning everything into an opportunity for a glorified sales and marketing campaign turns me off BIG TIME!
I’ve given lots of thought to this whole thing, and personally, I think it’s a way to add a whole new pile of work to those of us who already work so hard, just so multi-million dollar companies can promote and sell items on our pages, which diligently promote their products in absentia.
In other words, we share the work that requires these products to be used. So naturally, people are going to purchase some of these products, if they want to make our designs and projects.
Regarding the many fine crafters and crocheters actually selling their products on sites like Etsy and Ravelry, I sincerely wish you every success and am thrilled we have a month to call our own to this effect. I’ve given much thought to the idea, and never found it a viable option for the work I do. (I’ll share more about my thoughts on this in future posts.)
In the meantime, I won’t be pulling out all the stops this month and doing all sorts of National Crochet Month promotions for our blog and website. I’m not comfortable getting in your face with a bunch of advertising nonsense, when I’m sure you have way more to do than focus on how to help me celebrate March in grand style, because it’s a party month, and we all need to go all out and whoopdeedoo it up or something.
Instead, I’ll enjoy sharing with you like I always do, and continue working on my A – Z patterns for the month of April. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with the energy I’m spending on next month’s posts and projects. Personally, I’m even amazed by a few of them myself. I started these daily designs in January, and the work has definitely been worth it!
From one craft and crochet enthusiast to another, I sincerely hope you’ll sign up and join me in the A – Z Challenge. There’s so much you can do with it, and the traffic to your blog will make it more than worth all your efforts to participate. More than that, however, you’ll be promoting yourself and your work, instead of playing into something akin to a Vulcan mind meld, similar to the likes of what only Spock can do!
Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing,
M. J.
Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim
©2013 All Rights Reserved