Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Zinnia Flower


by M. J. Joachim
It’s hard to believe the A – Z Challenge is finishing up today. I’ve had a grand time sharing so many flowers with all of you, many that I will use as guidelines for future projects, so please stay tuned. Your comments have energized me through this process. My brain is on overload with so many ideas for future projects, and I love getting your feedback on my work.
Zinnia is my z post – not my last flower. There were a few others I found while working on these that I’m excited to design and share with you. Unfortunately all this flower power has left my twelve months of doilies in the dust.
I’m still finalizing pattern details for February’s doily. March’s doily is complete with no tutorial page – handwritten page, yes, tutorial for site, no. April – well, it simply didn’t happen. To that end, I have decided to spend my summer making doilies. This likely means I won’t be posting every day. Doilies take time to do them right, and finalizing patterns takes even more time. It hit 100 degrees F here this past weekend, so while some of you are still buried in snow, summer has arrived for me – too hot to spend hours outside. Doily days are upon us…once my oldest daughter graduates from college next month, that is.
Onto our Zinnia Pattern now…Thank you all for an amazing A – Z Challenge this year!
You Will Need
Crochet thread and hook (I used 4-ply cotton yarn/size F hook
2 beads – 1 dark color, 1 lighter color
2 pieces pipe cleaner
Step 1:  (Foundation chain) Chain 17; single crochet in 2nd chain from hook
Step 2:  Chain 5; half double crochet in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain; hdc in sc; sc in next chain on foundation chain

 



[Repeat Step 2 for each chain in foundation chain]
Note:  Petals will naturally create a spiral as you work.
Step 3:  Yarn over; insert hook from bottom of spiral through each layer of center; yarn over, pull loop back through bottom of flower and finish off. This will secure all layers of the flower together.


Step 4:  String 1 dark bead and 1 light bead on end of dark pipe cleaner & secure for flower center; fold bottom of pipe cleaner up and twist securely under beads; insert through top center of flower and all layers


Step 5:  Take green pipe cleaner and secure at base of flower, spiraling it down around dark pipe cleaner and loose ends of yarn to finish stem.

 



All patterns for A – Z Challenge 2013 are originals designed and created by me, so please abide by all copyright laws. However, you are more than welcome to link to my work. In fact, I would very much appreciate it if you do. Thank you!

 

Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches.
M. J.
Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim (©2013 All Rights Reserve); zinnia peruviana, Forest and Kim Starr, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported; zinnia bi-color, Branlon, Public Domain
©2013 All Rights Reserved