Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fall & Winter Skirt Project Completion


By M. J. Joachim

There were a couple of things on my list to complete this week. One was to finish reading and reviewing that wonderful book, The Mine, I started a while ago. The other was this skirt project I started so many months ago.
You may remember from previous posts that this skirt is my own original pattern, worked in the round with joining rounds. It’s a comfy piece, to be worn casually and just for fun, as well as for warmth on those cold, blustery days when all you want to do is curl up on the couch and watch a good movie or read a good book.
As I worked, I added a few details to the pattern. For the final color and trim, I left a few stitches unfinished from Color B. I joined Color C and made puff stitches to the beginning of the last Color B row, to finish out the row. Then I made single crochet stitches all the way around, until I got to my puff stitches, and made more puff stitches between the puff stitches I’d made in the previous row. Continuing in this matter, I eventually made a little puff pineapple right in the front left corner of my skirt.
The skirt, however, was missing something – much like a really good recipe that’s just a tad bit flat. This is why I added Color C to the top of the skirt. Using double crochet stitches, I made the sequence of {1 dc row 1, 1 dc 2nd row below, 1 dc 3rd row below, 1 dc 2nd row below, 1 dc row 1}, following this 5 sequence stitch pattern, without duplicating the 1 dc in row 1.
Sizing and lengthening this pattern is all a matter of preference. You don’t even need the pineapple or the trim. My goal was to have fun with this piece and end up with something new and playful to wear during the colder seasons of the year. I’m more than satisfied with how this project turned out and can’t wait to wear my new skirt this year and for many years to come.
Here are links to previous posts about this project, for those interested in starting and finishing their own fall skirt.
Thank you for visiting Lots of Crochet Stitches.
M. J.
©2013 All Rights Reserved
No part of this blog or pattern may be reproduced or copied for monetary gain. Links to this blog and pattern are more than a little appreciated.