Friday, November 21, 2014

New Afghan Pattern in the Making

by M. J. Joachim

I bought this yarn a while ago with the intention of making an afghan for my bed with it. My original idea was to frame begonia squares with the variegated yarn. The yarn got stowed away as so often happens. I knew the right inspiration would come, and I’d start making that afghan one day. Today’s the day, and as an added incentive for me, you’ll get to watch and see the progress as I work on it.

I’m no longer making begonia squares. All day I thought of quilted nine-patches. By late afternoon, I was thinking of granny squares, but I want my afghan to be more closely woven than that, so I’m making my first square in my own granny square pattern. I think I’ll use the green in the center, with the variegated on the outer portion of my squares, then frame my nine-patches with the burgundy, and put a whole bunch of nine-patches together.

I think one of the things I like most about this square is that it has a bit of a ruffle to it. I can picture a great big, fluffy afghan floating across my bed or snuggling up with it on the couch.

Granny Square Afghan Project Pattern #112114

I purchased 3 skeins each of 4-ply Loops and Threads, Soft & Shiny yarn (311 yards p/skein).  My colors are: Jewels, Citrus and Burgundy. I will make as many 9 patch squares as I can with this and together we will see how big the afghan will turn out.

Pattern uses 3 colors - A, B and C

Size J hook

Square Pattern Instructions

Step 1: Chain 6, make a ring by slip stitching into 1st chain

Step 2: Chain 3 (counts as 1st dc), make 2 more dc in center of ring

Step 3: Chain 1, make 3 dc in center of ring

Repeat Step 3 ten more times (so that you have 12 groups of 3 dc; chain 1, join with a slip stitch to top chain of 1st chain 3 in round

Step 4: Slip stitch into each of next 2 dc and into 1st chain 1 space. Make beginning corner (chain 3 + 2 dc + chain 2 + 3 dc) in same space

Step 5: Chain 1, make 3 dc in next chain 1 space (twice)

Step 6: Chain 1, make corner (3 dc + chain 2 + 3 dc) in next chain 1 space

Repeat Steps 5 & 6 around, ending with Step 5 + chain 1; join with slip stitch to top chain of 1st chain 3 in round

Finish off Color A; join Color B to any chain 2 corner space

Note: Square is supposed to be ruffly.

Step 7: Make beginning corner (Step 4) in chain 2 space; repeat Step 5 for each chain 1 space and Step 6 for each chain 2 corner space, so that you have 3 double crochet stitches in each chain 1 space and (3 dc + chain 2 + 3 dc) in each chain 2 corner space, with chain 1 in between. Finish round with chain 1 and join with slip stitch to top of 1st chain 3 in round.

Step 8: Repeat Step 4, slip stitching into next chain 2 corner space. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 as instructed in Step 7 around. Finish off.

I hope you’ll enjoy following along as I make this new afghan. For those who want to do a crochet along, I will be making 9 of the squares in this pattern for my first 9 patch. You’re going to need a lot of these for the finished project, so feel free to make as many as you want (in multiples of 9). I’ll be posting the next steps as soon as I finish designing them for you.

Thanks so much for stopping by, commenting and sharing this post today, and have a lovely weekend!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: M. J. Joachim, ©2014 All Rights Reserved